Monday, November 4, 2019

No, They Don't "Even Out"

I ran across this argument yet again in the last day, and it drives me up the wall. A parent asked a question about future educational concerns because she wondered if her (toddler aged) kid being gifted/advanced would change something. Instead of answering the question, people came out of the woodwork to tell her she couldn't possibly know her kid was gifted this young, that the handful of skills she listed would probably just even out over time, everyone thinks their kid is gifted, et cetera, et cetera.

No. Just no. Why do parents feel the need to do this?

I do understand that children develop at different rates, but there is a general flow to the development and when a kid is far outside that flow it is reasonable for a parent to accept that their child is gifted. It is reasonable to assume that when a parent gives strong evidence of giftedness, that they did not just give a comprehensive list of every sign they've seen, but a smattering of evidence. It is reasonable to assume that a parent, especially a parent who is with their child around the clock, has a pretty good idea of when something is out of the norm.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jackie, I just found your blog and I am so glad that I did. I am reading through all of your old posts. We are new to homeschooling with a 9yo who is very advanced in math. I love your relaxed approach and your choice of materials. I do hope you are able to post some 2020 updates. Thank you for sharing your experiences here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your entire blog in the few past days and I must say, I hope you and your kid are all fine. I also hope you return to write more entries in a close future. Thanks for writing them!

    ReplyDelete