Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Fairy Tale Project: Snow White

I will confess, I dreaded doing Snow White. I dislike the tale, I dislike the absolute helplessness of Snow White, I dislike that it has a group of men needing to protect her. . .

But The Kid knew that the tale existed because friends had talked about it, and she didn't know the story and wanted to include it.

I had only known the Disney version previously, and I was surprised that there was so much variation in the versions. All but one of them still had her as a helpless female protected by men, so I still can't say I like it, but at least it freshened up the tale for me.

We read:

Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves retold by Cynthia Rylant - Chosen because it is the most well known version in the United States and she really wanted to know the same story that her friends knew.

Snow White by the Brothers Grimm, illustrated by Quentin Greban - The most faithful to the original Grimm tale, this one is more interesting than the usual version in that the witch tries multiple methods to do away with Snow White.

Snow White by the Brothers Grimm, illustrated by Charles Santore - Pretty much the Disney version, but with absolutely stunning illustrations.

The Seven Dwarfs by Etienne Delessert - A reimagining of the tale told from the point of view of one of the dwarves.

Rimonah of the Flashing Sword adapted by Eric A. Kimmel - If all Snow White stories were like this one, I would love Snow White. This character is amazing, smart, strong, and independent. This version is from North Africa.

Obviously, you could watch one or more of the many movies based on this tale, but The Kid is still a little hesitant about the scariness of most movies, so we skipped watching evil queens.

The Kid mashed together several of the Grimm/Disney versions to create her own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment