Thursday, July 7, 2016

RightStart Math: Final Cost, Levels A-C

We've moved on from RightStart Math and I wanted to address one of the most common concerns I hear from people considering this program: cost. Yes, it looks to be a very expensive program, especially with the startup costs of that huge box of manipulatives. Here and there, when people ask online, responses cite the high resale value, but without numbers. Here are my numbers:

RightStart A
I bought the first edition of Level A, before the second edition existed. Costs include the lesson manual, two workbooks (so I could sell with a clean one), and a set of the appendix pages. I believe that the second edition becoming available in the meantime really hurt the resale value on this one!
                Cost: $78.50
                Sold on eBay for: $34.50
                Final Cost to me: $44.00

RightStart B
I bought the second edition of Level B, with an extra workbook and an extra set of Appendix pages (so I could sell a complete, clean set). I did get the extra workbook and Appendix during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale for a discount.
               Cost: $97.50
               Sold on eBay for: $65.00
               Final Cost to me: $32.50

RightStart C
I bought the second edition of Level C, with an extra workbook so I could sell a complete, clean set. All on sale during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.
               Cost: $80.00
               Sold on eBay for: $55.00
               Final Cost to me: $25.00

Manipulatives Package
I originally bought the set for version 1 and then upgraded. For ease of numbers (and not being able to find my receipt for the original purchase) I am going to use the current price of the full Version 2 Package, which is what I had by the end and sold on eBay.
                Cost: $205.50
                Sold on eBay for: $152.50
                Final Cost to me: $53.00

Taking the total cost to me of the three levels plus the manipulatives ($154.50) and dividing it over the three years this would be expected to last, I come up with a Final Total Cost of $51.50 per year. 

Not bad. And it would have come in even cheaper for me if I had started with Version 2 of Level A (the new version had much better resale value) and if I had planned ahead and always bought during the Cyber Monday sale

No comments:

Post a Comment