Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Interesting Asynchronicity

I just posted about our new scheduling. So what does The Kid choose for one of her first subjects?

Chemistry.

I was thinking mixing things together to see what happens. She wanted to learn about the Periodic Table. She wanted to learn about atoms and molecules. She wanted to learn about electrons.

Really, kid? You're five years old.

The Kid writes very little, has about third grade math skills, and generally wants high input and low output. She can read at a high school level but prefers mid-to-late elementary text with lots of pictures, enjoys verbal instruction at about a late elementary/early junior high level, and will happily watch documentaries of YouTube information at adult level. Balancing this is weird. It's not like I can add up all the different grade levels, find the average, and pick material for that level.

The Internet came to my rescue and I found that other parents had already been there and done that with interested young kids. I actually was able to put together a chemistry unit that we both loved, was appropriate for her level, and kept us learning and busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment