Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Final Bob Books Reading Loop

I posted earlier about using Bob Books to learn reading with a kid that doesn't like to re-read anything. (I don't get that. I mean, she will ask me to read a new story 3-4 times in a row to her!) Here is the progression we ultimately ended up using:

Bob Books Set 1
Bob Books Set 2
Bob Books Sight Words Kindergarten
Bob Books Rhyming Words
Bob Books Set 1
Bob Books Sight Words Kindergarten
Bob Books Set 2
Bob Books Sight Words First Grade
Bob Books Set 3
Bob Books Sight Words First Grade
Bob Books Set 3
Bob Books Set 4
Started Progressive Phonics Intermediate level
Started easy readers - mostly Clifford, Little Critter, and Elephant and Piggie
Bob Books Set 5

Once I introduced her to Progressive Phonics and easy readers, she would choose which she wanted to do each time she wanted to read to me. We'll still go back and forth between easy readers and Progressive Phonics (which she calls the "read it together stories"). She can now handle easy readers at a beginning-of-first-grade level with just a bit of help with some of the words that are not phonetic.

If I were redesigning the sequence, I would put the Rhyming Words set and the Sight Words Kindergarten set before Set 2. They fit better there, but I wasn't sure where the non-numbered sets should go when I started. We may loop through Sets 4 and 5 again sometime in the future depending on whether she is interested and how she is doing with the easy readers.

At her request to learn spelling, I also introduced All About Spelling while we were going through Set 5. Since All About Spelling is a phonics-based spelling program, I'm expecting that it will also help bolster her reading skills. Right now, it is giving her further confidence because she is realizing she can already spell all the words in the first several lessons!

No comments:

Post a Comment